5.1.11

I Was There

Poetry


You did not know
I was there when you stood under the old maple tree,
yearning for what was beyond the distant blue tinged hills,
tears streaming down your cheeks unchecked, 
your heart aching for your mothers arms.
I was there.

You did not know
I was there while you waited to be called,
resigned in your mind,
defeated in your heart.
The life inside of you to be destroyed
even before it had begun.
I was there.

You did not know
I was there as he looked beseechingly into your eyes
and denounced the accusations of infidelity,
while you neared your first born child’s first breath.
Vulnerable and trusting
oh, so trusting – in vain.
I was there.

You did not know
I was there during all those years of sleepless nights
while he tried to drown his sorrows.
Long nights of fear and worry,
protecting your little ones
from what they should not hear or see.
I was there.

You did not know
I was there when you could take no more.
Gathering up your children
and striding out the door, with dignity.
The uncertainty ahead as vivid
as a winding track with an obscured ending.
I was there.

You did not know
I was there when you wished upon a star
with the  faith of an angel
despite the deeds of man.
True love and peace coming to you - at last.
I, your guardian angel, celebrating.
I will always be there!

***

© Copyright Jan Reid-Lennox. All Rights Reserved.